The Boy Who Raised Me

I am older now and so are you

Time has it's price that is true

In the beginning, I held you close

Marvelously you from nose to toes

My baby boy with eyes so large

Fear and worry to be in charge

How can I ever truly worthy be?

And bridge a gap too wide for me

Soft little hands faith and trust

No worry, no concern, no test

At one, I got sick and lost a job

Packing in the garage as I sob

You danced to the music so free

Just Darius Rucker, you and me

We moved back North together

So young you wouldn't remember

It was Winter and the chapter dark

But it was you who struck a spark

We walked each day and talked

A stroll passed all the cars parked

You heard it all, the pain and worry

During this season of melancholy

Because of you, I went forth bravely

With legs shaking and voice gravely

I found my footing and so did you

Walking, speaking to name a few

Your siblings lives a little different

Since you taught me to be a parent

To see you grow and become a man

Is to see that perhaps there is a plan

I was hard on you, maybe too much

With anger and fear, it was not just

I pulled back before it was too late

To make the choice to mitigate

To see you is to see my own truth

That I simply did not raise this youth

You carried me as much as I did you

To a softened heart and love more true

Now a growing man with life to live

I can to the world no better gift give

No more precious or of greater sanctity

Then the gift of the boy who raised me

 

Nick Campos  June 2024

Comments