Update Week 1

Well, my first week is in the book and that I thought I would take a little time to write up my findings and experiences over the past week and close out this message with a little thought that I hope will help you in your nine week journey with me...I also have a few pictures but I will have to have my tech master Erin show me how to put them on the ways she does on our other blog.

Treatment plan: My treatment regime is described as tough by my Oncologists. The drugs themselves are not any worst but the way it is administered is meant to kill the cancer cells without mercy. So my first week of treatment consisted of 5 days of 5+ hour infusions. They start out with a slow drip of Saline to ensure that I am properly hydrated then they add the following in order:
Dexamethazone: Anti Nausea
Bleomycin: Chemotherapy drug 1 (Given every monday)
Cystplatin: Chemotherapy drug 2 (Daily Weeks 1,3,6)
Another bag of Saline
Etoposide: Chemotherapy drug 3 (Daily Weeks 1,3,6)

The time I spend in the chair is not uncomfortable as the anti nausea that they give me works really well and fast. However, after I finish treatment for the day things get a little more interesting. I can be upbeat one minute and flat on my face the next with acid reflux, nausea or stomach pain. The drugs seem to stack up a bit throughout the week, which leaves me a bit fuzzy towards the weekend. Very similar to the feeling that most of my fellow Coug fans had every saturday last football season. But I have been drinking lots of water and doing my best to keep adding weight and flushing my system. I also have a weekly appointment with a massage therapist to clear out the toxins out of my muscles and I will soon try accupuncture.

Experiences: I have met within the past week some amazing examples of the true love of life. Individuals tested to the point of death that still savor each day and the beauty it delivers. Here is a little bit about a few of them...

John was the first guy I met last week, he was vacationing for a month up here with family and had to do one of his treatments for Prostate Cancer. He was an mechanical engineer during a time in Pittsburgh when that was the field to be in. He raised a son and a daughter who both achieved advanced degrees from MIT and Stanford. John and I spent most of our time talking while Erin and my Mom were grabbing a few burgers for lunch. By the time they returned i asked John if he would like a burger, which he quickly accepted and devoured. I remember looking at him thinking how greatful I was for him accepting my gift to him, and wondered if I would have said no thank you even if I was hungry. This was until his wife walked in and he began telling her that this is a great hospital...the only one he has every been to that gives out free burgers :)

I try to stay up beat while I am inside that clinic, because I recognize that it is not just my fight. I am a participant in the lives of others who are going through this trial as well just by sharing the same atmosphere with them. So it is with this in mind that I say hello and give a smile to those I make eye contact with. On Wednesday of last week I met a lady named Glenna who had me trumpted my a mile. She has fought cancer in some form since she was 14 years old and is now 59. She is probably the kindess and most sincere person that I have ever met, she still works as a school teacher because she loves to teach and will not let cancer stop her from doing what she enjoys. It was amazing to see the depths of the human spirit in this women, her plate so heavily burdened, yet she was so interested in me.

Motivational:
About a month ago I climbed Mt Adams which is 12,653ft. As I began the climb the mountain was in full view, I could see every peak, valley and cliffside. But as with any big project my work soon became right in front of me. Gone was the granjeour of the mountain, instead I found one loose rock at a time that I must climb and false peaks above me. When I reached each of these false peaks, which without a doubt I thought each to be the last I was forced to make a decision, one rock at a time until I met my goal. So I recomitted and upon reaching the summit I saw the beautiful view below, but more importantly I saw all of the fear, doubt and insecurity that I left trail side along the way.

The moral of the story is that it is seldom the mauntain that makes us quiver, it is thought of one rock at a time. Please make sure that during your 9 week challenge that you take the time to bring to the surface your fears, doubts and insecurities, confront them and leave them along the trail side. Soon, we will all arrive together on the peak and realize that we have accomplished more than just a goal, we have found the ability to set goals in our lives without fear.

Thank you all so much for all of your kind words, emails, calls and support. I know that I am strong because I am anchored to strong people like each of you. Have a great week.

Comments

  1. Great blog Nick. You are an inspiration to all. You see the beauty around us even when things seem so ugly. I feel a smidge guilty for not even being able to fully comprehend your struggle and the struggles of others. I think of you often and of Erin more frequently. I know whenever I have a (not-even-comparable health crisis) it is my wife that I feel for. They are so tender and sensative to the finest feelings that I often wonder how to support our wives through our trials. You have an amazing family and an amazing breath on life. Just remember, next time you hike Mt. Adams ask me to come...but we'll be packing skiis for the ride down my friend. Love you tons make sure you bring bald back in style because I'm loosing mine like an Argentine cat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nick,

    It's Heidi, Erin's coworker =) Just to let you know we (Eric and I) are thinking of both you and Erin and will be rooting for you all the way!!!! Your first blog entry is wonderful and has a lot of great insight, you should be very proud of the outlook you have taken and know that others are too inspired by you. Through the good, bad, ugly and eventual triumph..you are not alone!! With love and strength.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nick - thanks for sharing your thoughts here. We are walking every day and thinking of you. You are all in our prayers. Love Mike and Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nick - You are a great inspiration. I am so proud to have you as a cousin. You write very elloquently. You should publish your story in book someday, because I think it would be very motivational for others, with or without cancer. I hope you know that you are in my thoughts and prayers daily. I can't imagine what you have to go through, but it is comforting to know that you have a great wife, great parents, a beautiful little boy that surround you daily. I hope you also know that you have cousins that love you a lot too, who are far, but our hearts are near. My boys idolize your dad, and when I share with them your blog and story, I know they will idolize you as well, because I would want them to become a great man as yourself. May the Lord bless you and give you the strength you need to get through each day. I don't know your wife, but may he bless her to give you comfort and give her strength to support you. My favorite scription is Proverbs 3:5-6 and I think you emmulate that scripture better than anyone else I know. I love you and miss you and I am glad I can keep up with you from your blog. Love you always, Your cousin, Nadean

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week two done for me and you

Message from Dad

And the results are...

Golf

All Done!!!!!!!!!!

Papa's Ears