Week two done for me and you

Well, week two is in the books and I am starting to feel a bit more like myself and I hope that each of you are feeling better as well. Week two and three of each cycle only require a Monday treatment, so my body can use the rest of the time to heal and prepare for the new cycle. I have noticed and most importantly Erin has noticed that I am getting back to myself. Erin and I like taking walks around the neighborhood and normally I tend to push the pace, she calls it long legs and I call it impeccible physical fitness and a heart like Seabiscuit. This has been a debate for quite a while and most people tend to agree with her take on the subject. This week has been a change of pace for us, our walks around the neighborhood are starting to mimic being lead around the grocery store by my Mom when I was a child. So my point is that obviously the long legs were not the reason for me prior pace...The logic makes sense to me...case closed :)
But in all serious, week two was better than I anticipated, we only had a few minor setbacks. One of the side effects of Chemotherapy is that it wipes out fast moving cells like white blood cells, saliva ducts and many others. So this Friday I caught the common cold and it sidelined me for the weekend. My Doctors take the common cold very seriously so Erin and I made a rush visit to Providence for some blood work at the CDC. Everything came back normal and I was released to go and heal with a bowl of chicken noodle soup and a lot of water. It was nice to know that my Doctor does not mess around, he was on the phone with Erin throughout the process, keeping us in the loop on what he was thinking. Some would say he was just doing his job...and maybe that is right, but he had a choice in how he did it, and with his choice I am well pleased. It reconfirms that I have a great Doctor.
Treatment:

Monday: I went to the Oncologist for a 1pm appointment, during cycle weeks I am normaly in at 8am, so this was a nice change. My buddy Nate was nice enough to drive me down there and spend some time with me while they poked and prauded me. For those of you who are wondering he couldn't look at the needle, but he was right there by my side, and a friend couldn't ask for more. During the hour that I was in the office on Monday they gave me a couple of drugs, and they administered them without giving me anti-nausea medicine which scared me, but it turns out that they new what they were doing.

Bleomyicin: This is a slow drip of a very expensive chemotherapy drug, everytime I get it I think my insurance company takes an antacid. I have heard rumors that it is about 2k per dose, or 18k during this 9 week treatment cycle. It is not the most expensive, they use a drug for other cancers that is 25k per dose...so saving lives does not always come on the cheap.

Nuelasta: I received an injection this week of a white blood cell count stimulator. The doctor said it was a shot, and I thought for sure that they were going to stick that needle into my bone marrow...but it was just a quick poke, pink bandage and a dumb dumb just like when I was a kid. This drug is strange, I felt no effects until Thursday, when I felt bone pain in my hips and thighs. That is the sign that the body is producing more white bloods cells in the bone marrow to ensure that I can fight disease and not end up with delayed treatment due to illness.

Experience:

I am coming out of the fuzz, the strange thing is that I look back at week 1 and can't remember anything. I know that I was there and that I did it, but it feels like it was not me. Then speaking to those who I spoke to last week, I get comments like "it is good to have you back." I know that was in a different place during week one, it just goes to show that this treatment is capable of making someone quite a bit different.

Most of my great experiences that I want to share this week involve you fine shared strength supporters. I have received so much encouragement as a result of this process that I can never look at this experience in a negative light again. Because of each of you we have turned a disease that is known for taking and taking alone and we have harnessed it into a positive movement that by my count has over a hundred participants from many states and a few other countries. Although the number is incredible, this is still all about the individual for me...me and you. I love the emails I get and have been moved to tears by your stories and messages of support on a daily basis. Although it will take me a while to catch up on replies, and I will, please know that I feel and grow stronger through your strength and support.

Here is a cute story that happened to me this week. One day this week I was home doing some work when the doorbell rang. I walked up from my office opened the door and standing on my porch were Shelby Orr and Kayla Morris sorrounded by paper bags. Apparently these two 12 year olds had decided that they wanted to do something nice for me, so they cooked for four hours to make us a wonderful meal of Spaghetti, Salad, Bread, Watermelon and both cookies and brownies. The gift of service has always been hard for me to receive, because I am pig headed. But this selfless act of children reconfirms the spirit of America, the desire to do good and be a positive influence on those around them.

Motivational:

I love a good story, I like the good guy to win, odds to be defied and the impossible to become possible. This is one of those stories, and I have been thinking about it a lot this week and thought I would share it with you this week.

Roger Bannister was a Olympic caliber runner during the 1950's who set a goal. You know a goal, like we are doing for these 9 weeks, a dream with a plan. His goal was really big, his goal was so big that it was thought to be impossible. He wanted to break the 4 minute mile, despite the view of scientists previously that it was outside of the capacity of the human lung. Yet Bannister trained, and trained hard...and in 1954 he cracked the mark at 3:59 seconds...So the good guy won, impossible became possible and odds were defied, this is a great story...But if we ended here we would miss our morale. What happened to this future successful Nuerologist?

Well, for starters his record lasted a mere 46 days before it was broken again. Then in the six months to follow 37 athletes cracked the 4 minute mile.

The reason why this is so important is because it exemplifies that the only thing powerful enough to keep us from our goals is ourselves. We each make a choice in how we deal with our doubts and insecurities, we choose to leave them along the trail or to wear them on our sleeve. But I promise you that we are all strong enough to beat back the demons of fear, and most importantly we all deserve to live in a world of freedom from ourselves. I can't wait to look back with you on our journey in seven weeks and see the field behind us filled with the shackles that once bound our dreams and strangled our plans. The best we have ever been, but not the best we ever will be. Have a great week, Nick

Comments

  1. Nick,
    I have been so moved in your posts so far! I have certainly been inspired to do much more with what I have been so blessed with. Thanks for sharing everything with us! You are an incredible guy & have an amazing family. We are so blessed to have you as our friends. We love you, and good luck with the remaining 7 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nick - you rock. It amazes me, that you are the 3rd person in a years time I have known who has been going through chemotherapy and I have to say, that it's hard to believe that each of these people, including yourself has had such a great attitude, didn't look at this as a negative experience, and along the way, inspire those of us who are not going through this, then us inspiring you guys who are. It shows you that attitude has everything to do with whatever challenges come our way, and that we have them for a reason. You amaze me every time I read your blog and you are in our prayers daily. I hope that you continue to be strong so that you will have a speedy recovery. Love ya lots, Nadean

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Nick, great post. I'm glad to hear you are coming out of the fuzz as you put it. It must be a bit weird to lose a week like that, but you seem to be coping very well. I don't think our walking compares even a little bit to running a 4 minute mile!! Maybe we should have set a loftier goal! hehehe! Sepaking of goals, dreams and not giving up I am reading an interesting book as part of our book club - the Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. Have you ever read it? It's unusual because it's an alegory, so the style is different, but easy enough to read, I finished it in an afternoon. Anyway - it made me re-evaluate what I want, as I'm sure your situation in a much more real and urgent way has done for you. May we be a bit more like you Nick, never give up and never lose our positivity! You are fantastic. I hope you have a good week of it this week. Love Michelle :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the update...great thoughts, great story, great morale, great you. Will continue to read your blog and think MAJOR healing thoughts for you. Two weeks behind you (us, b/c we're all there with you!) and with every week, that yellow ribbon is closer and closer. We are all at the side-lines clapping and cheering you on! Can't wait to watch you sprint through the finish line in no time!

    Heidi & Eric

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Update Week 1

Message from Dad

And the results are...

Golf

All Done!!!!!!!!!!

Papa's Ears