Papa's Ears

There is a hole in Papa's ears where all the words go.
Where they compete with all the headlines of the day.
The closer that I get, the farther away I seem to be.
Cause there's a hole in Papa's ears where all the words go.

We don't talk much anymore, I don't have much to say.
Hell, he couldn't begin to understand me anyway.
So we pass on by locking eyes with the shadow on the wall.
Cause there's a hole in Papa's ears where all the words go.
 
We live in different worlds and we talk a little more.
Little more than the weather or what's coming up today.
And it comes to me that more than occasionally.
That even I can make the headlines of the day.
 
Now a father of my own kids screaming in the lawn.
I try to lean back and relax after a full day's run. 
But the thoughts fly by and echo through the pines.
And I can't help but think of the hole in Papa's ears
 
I visit Papa every Tuesday afternoon in the home.
His sunken shadow drapes the wall near his chair.
I tell him about my day and what's going on at home.
In his eyes a fog that I just can't seem to get beyond.
 
I think about the words, but it doesn't matter anyway.
All the things I meant to say that were not meant to be.
So I just sit staring at the sunken shadow on the wall.
Cause there's a hole in Papa's ears where all the words go.
 
Walking through the trees, the leaves crunching under foot.
Across a farm of forgotten souls to the spot reserved for he.
I talk to the name and gaze at the dash that created me.
Words of the soul from a man that now better understands.
 
The dash soon forgotten as just a life, to me it is a wish.
A wish for one more day, a wish to share my gratitude.
So I say I love you and goodbye, but only to the breeze.
Cause there's a hole in the ground where all the words go.    
 
Nicholas Campos - March 2024

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week two done for me and you

Update Week 1

Message from Dad

And the results are...

Golf

All Done!!!!!!!!!!